How can GROWLing help you in sport and life?
The title of this blog might have some of you thinking that growling is some new method of activating more muscle fibres, stiffening the core, mentally preparing for sports etc etc. Well i’m sorry to say that it’s not any of these things!
The fact is it’s more this (not suggesting you need to growl by any stretch of the imagination).
I got this analogy from coaching legend and motivation speaker Frank Dick whilst down at the global coaches house and I love it!
I love it because I’ve been known to growl a bit myself at times (no questions please!) and the word resonates with me because it’s gritty and industrious (just like me lol!)
Anyway, If you want to get places fast, follow the GROWL method!
- Goals – We know we need goals. What are yours? Be they sporting, financial, business you need them. But don’t just set outcome goals like I want to benchpress 200kg, set the process goals too. I must train 3x per week. I must network with experienced people etc etc.
- Reality – Make sure your goals are realistic. But also make sure you’re grounded and can function in reality! You have to work to achieve anything (for most of us anyway).
- Options – What do you need to do to bridge the gap from where you are now to where you want to be. What resources do you need? What else do you need to support the process?
- Will – The will to overcome adversity! You have your plan to the end goal (usually developed by working backwards from that end goal). That plan will never happen as you’ve written it there will be difficulties and adversity along the way. Learn to work around this and to smash through it at times too!
- Learning – What controls and monitoring do you have in place to enable you to learn faster? Are you reflecting on progress to speed up the development process?
There you have it, GROWL your way to Success in sport, business and life!
Frank used the phrase “Kill or be killed” in his talk. This is very much the case in sport and business. Do you have that drive to push through at all times?
What do you think of the growl method? Does it work for you?
Thats all for today,
To your Success,
PS Don’t forget to take a look at our level 4 strength and conditioning course that will give you all the knowledge you need to become a strength & conditioning coach.