Can you imagine life without your favourite exercise?
As a huge MMA fan and an S&C coach who has worked in the trenches in that sport for over a decade I love listening to the coaches discussing their athletes wins and losses.
Earlier this week I was listening to Conor McGregor’s coaches John Kavanagh talking about coaching athletes and their development programmes. John is a smart guy and is right at the top of the tree when it comes to technical development and learning in that sport.
One of his comments made me think and challenges me.
John was saying that he uses something until it doesn’t work anymore and then he drops it.
The phrase he used was something like “I have zero emotional attachment to any one technique or sequence. When it stops working we drop it. If it’s working we use it”.
This is something that we struggle with in the strength and fitness industry.
We tend to have emotional attachment to one or another movement or exercise and we fit those movements to our athlete or client.
The sign of a good gym and a good program is that people do different exercises and move in a way that is right for them.
Of course we need to get the fundamentals right but lets remember that people move in different ways and need different movements suited to their body and minds. We are looking to build adaptable athletes.
Athletes who are able to solve problems without our intervention
So although we have our favourite exercises they are not going to work for everyone.
There really is no room for ‘everyone’s squats in my programme’ or ‘rugby players must have a big deadlift’.
80% of the time this may well be true. But a great coach can also work with the other 20%.
So the big question for you today is what exercises are you emotionally attached to that you would find hard to let go?
And under what circumstances would you let those exercises fall out of your programme?
If you would like me to share a couple of my examples just let me know by posting on Facebook and I’ll gladly do that if it would help you. (I have dozens by the way!).